Appointments and scheduling

How do I initiate a job with FPL and how soon will I hear from you?

To start a new construction project, you may submit a request online. You can also email or mail your form with other relevant project information to your FPL Project Manager.

An FPL representative will contact you within four business days and provide you with a Work Request number, which will help you track the status of your project. Please refer to this number when making any inquiries.

How do I schedule an appointment to disconnect or reconnect my service? If I'm a licensed electrical contractor, can I do it myself?

Request a disconnect or reconnect, contact your FPL Project Manager several weeks in advance of your desired date.

FPL's Electric Service Standards manual (ESS) outlines the procedure for a licensed electrical contractor to perform the disconnect themselves.

Electrical contractors are not allowed to reconnect the electric service. This work must be performed by FPL after receipt of the electrical inspection.

What are your hours of operation?

FPL Project Managers are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Planning, design and construction

What voltages are available?

You can find the available voltages in the Service Provisions section of FPL's Electric Service Standards manual (ESS). An FPL Project Manager will review your electrical plans and determine which of FPL’s standard voltages will meet your electrical service needs. Some voltages may require a fee.

How many points of service can I have on a building and how many weatherheads are allowed at each point of service?

FPL's standard practice is to provide a single point of service per customer. However, FPL may agree to provide a second point of service if:

  • The local inspecting authority approves the installation
  • All electrical and safety codes are met
  • The customer pays the additional costs

A maximum of three weatherheads with four conductors (1000 KCMIL conductor size maximum) in each weatherhead is allowed at each service point. For additional information, check with your local inspecting authority and FPL Project Manager.

What is FPL's policy on installing two different types of voltages in one building?

FPL's standard practice is to provide a single voltage per customer. However, FPL may agree to provide a second voltage if:

  • The local inspecting authority approves the installation
  • All electrical and safety codes are met
  • The customer pays the additional costs

For additional information, check with your local inspecting authority and FPL Project Manager.

How do I get a fault current letter or service availability letter?

Complete and submit the online contact form to request a fault current or service availability letter. Be sure to select the appropriate subject in the drop down menu.

How do I upgrade or relocate my existing service?

To upgrade or relocate the location of the electrical equipment, such as the location of the meter, you should first contact a licensed electrician, who will obtain an electrical permit for wiring changes to your equipment.

  • Your electrician should contact FPL to set up an appointment to change your existing service.
  • Once your electrician completes wiring changes, he/she will contact the electrical inspection department of your local jurisdiction for an inspection.

After the inspection is approved, FPL will receive notification that your wiring meets code and will complete your wiring connection at the meter.

If FPL needs to dig on my property to install my new electrical service, will FPL restore the area that was impacted?

FPL’s construction fees do not include landscape or other site restoration.

How does FPL power my construction site?

When there are the appropriate power lines, transformers or other equipment at the site, FPL can install temporary electric service to the construction site for a fee. You can submit your request for temporary service online.

Who is responsible for clearing the vegetation from the area where the electrical equipment will be located?

FPL will clear the vegetation for equipment that is being installed in a public road right-of-way. Customers, however, are responsible for clearing their property and any adjacent property, if necessary, for the initial installation of electrical equipment. When vegetation grows too near overhead power lines, it can cause power outages, so be sure to have a certified line-clearing specialist maintain the vegetation away from the electrical equipment and lines.

When will my underground service be installed if I am building a new home or building?

The actual installation timeframe will vary, but is typically between 10 and 15 business days after FPL is notified that the site is ready for installation. Before we can begin installation, we will need verification of the following:

  • The meter can and downpipe have been installed
  • The cable route is clear
  • Any applicable fees have been paid

Please contact FPL several weeks before installing sod or sprinkler systems to minimize repairs.

When do I have to have the city or county inspect the electrical work at my home or business?

An inspection is required for all new electric service installations and any time FPL disconnects service for an electrical contractor to work on your electric equipment. Please check with your local inspecting authority for specific requirements and restrictions.

What happens if the site is not ready for FPL to begin construction?

An FPL Project Manager must approve your site prior to FPL beginning construction. If the site is not prepared as agreed when the FPL construction crew arrives, you will be responsible for any associated costs, and it may delay your construction schedule. Be sure to inform your FPL Project Manager about any schedule changes in order to avoid additional fees and ensure your project’s success. Locate and review the site ready checklist for your project to ensure it is ready for FPL construction.

When do you require an easement for your facilities?

Easements are required when installing any electrical lines and equipment on private property. The electrical line that connects the property to FPL’s electric system, however, does not require an easement. The easement must be executed and recorded prior to the start of construction. Learn more about easements

Opening a new account

How do I open a new FPL account once my construction project is complete?

If you are requesting service at a new construction address, the information you provide using the online form  will help FPL initiate your request. However, an FPL representative may need to contact you to verify the type of service that you need or address other issues, such as a certificate of occupancy, deposit requirement or inspection.

View frequently asked questions about deposits.

Overhead to Underground Service

Why is there a charge to convert my overhead electric service to underground service?

In order to change overhead power lines to be buried underground, it requires construction and associated fees. This fee includes the material and labor associated with removing the overhead cable, supplying the new underground cable, pulling the underground cable through the new conduit, and building the casing on the pole that will house the new cable.

Does FPL deliver the conduit to my property?

No, it is your responsibility to pick up the material from your local FPL construction office. The conduits are 20-feet long, so be sure to arrange appropriate transportation and coordinate the pick-up with your local FPL construction office.

What do I have to do to install the conduit?

To install the conduit, first make sure that the trench route meets FPL’s specifications. Then call Sunshine811 at 8-1-1 at least two full business days in advance of digging to have any buried cables and lines marked – for free. By law, anyone excavating must follow this procedure to ensure the safety of people and property.

Once I have the conduit installed, how long will it take FPL to convert my overhead service to underground?

Once the necessary fees have been paid and the conduit installed, and the site has passed an inspection by an FPL representative, your electrical contractor can request an appointment to finalize the installation.

It can two to three weeks to schedule an appointment. On the day of the appointment, FPL will disconnect the existing overhead service and your electrical contractor will make the necessary changes to your equipment.

In the meantime, FPL will remove the overhead service cable, build the housing for the cable on the pole, and pull the cable in the conduit. Once the electrician has completed the work and the work has passed the required inspection, FPL will reconnect the service that same day.

Is it possible to bury my cable TV and telephone cables in the same trench as the underground power line?

Yes, you can bury all other utilities in the same trench if the cables are at least 12 inches apart; however, you will need to contact both your cable and telephone providers independently. FPL is not responsible for their facilities.

How do I know if my electrical service qualifies as a standard residential underground service?

A standard residential service ranges between 100 amps and 320 amps. If you see AC, ACD, ACP, ACR, 5C, 5CJ or 7C written on your FPL meter, then your service qualifies. Please check with your FPL Project Manager for more additional requirements.

How can I tell if there is an existing underground electrical riser on the pole?

When you look at the utility pole that serves you, look at the height of the current pole attachment and see if there are any cables originating from that height descending the pole in either a galvanized pipe or a U-shaped PVC guard. If this condition exists, you will need to count how many of these underground risers exist on the pole, and reflect it on the Overhead to Underground Conversion Sketch Form. If there is more than one pipe on the pole, you will need to contact your FPL representative. See examples below:Riser examples

Why does FPL need to know if there are existing underground risers on the pole?

FPL will not install more than two underground risers on a pole due to safety concerns. When this condition exists, FPL will install an underground box at the base of the pole adjacent to the existing riser – at no additional cost. FPL will then upgrade the cable in the existing riser to serve two properties instead of one.

Pricing and fees

Where do you get your fees from?

As a regulated utility, FPL's rates, rules and regulations are approved by the Florida Public Service Commission (FPSC). All of our fees are outlined in the approved Tariff.

FPL's Electric Retail Tariff

Is there a charge associated with a disconnect and reconnect appointment?

Generally, if an appointment occurs during business hours, there is no additional cost. Appointments may be scheduled between the hours of 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., however, available times may vary by location.

Fees for appointments after business hours will vary based on the scope of your appointment. Contact your FPL Project Manager for more information.

What is a Performance Guarantee Deposit?

A Performance Guarantee Deposit is an initial sum of money that is required to begin a project when full use of the facilities, as determined by FPL, is expected to be in two or more years.

Why do I have to pay to have FPL install underground facilities?

FPL’s standard fees for installing electric service for new construction projects are based on overhead facilities. Underground facilities require additional construction and associated costs, so if a customer requests underground facilities, they must pay the cost differential.